Translate

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Tradition!! Recipes of Collards and Black Eye Peas

I did my shopping today for tomorrow. I picked up some beautiful Collard Greens from my favorite store Kroger and some dried black eye peas. Let's not forget a bottle of wine for tonight! I know its a big tradition in the South to make these every New Year's Day . The peas bring luck and the greens bring wealth!


                                                         My goods from shopping!

Recipes: 

My Collards

Ingredients:

Bunch of Collard Greens
3 Smoked Pork Neckbone (or any smoked meat you prefer )
Salt
Black pepper
Vegetable oil
Hot Sauce

Get your large pot fill 2/3 of the way with water put on stove top with pork and about 2 -3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and start boiling water.

Wash and clean the collards. Most people clean out the sink add salt and cold water into the sink and add the collards and any sand left on them will all fall to the bottom.

Break off the fatter part of the stems ( I Prefer some stems in mine)
Tear the leaves into pieces.
Throw the leaves in the boiling water and cover they will over fill your pot but they will cook down.
After it cooks down add  salt and pepper to taste.
Cook medium heat until the texture you like.( I never measure and I never keep time I do all by taste so I can't give you precise times and measurements.)When its the way you like them turn them off and they are ready for chowing down!

Black Eye Peas 

Bag of dried Black Eye Peas (I'm using 12oz bag)
Bacon or Smoked pork
Salt
Pepper

Wash peas and follow directions on cooking instructions on the bag .
 Start cooking peas in amount of water as the bag says in a  medium pot.
Add salt, pepper and pork. Cover and cook on low heat about two hours or until they are tender.
Taste.
 Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Then ready for some eating!

Corn Bread

2 cups of self- rising cornmeal
1 egg
1 1/2 cups of milk
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoon of sugar if you like it sweet

Grease your baking sheet or cake pan.
Preheat oven to 425.
 Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until their are no lumps and looks wet.
Pour into Greased pan and cook 20-25 minutes.
Turn off oven and enjoy!

Any left over cornbread you can do what my mom does crumble it into a cup add milk and eat!

Make the best of our last day in 2012!!!
I hope y'all enjoy these recipes! I wish you all good health, good luck and wealth for 2013!
Have a Safe night out there and remember if you've been drinking don't get behind the wheel!

                 Stay Safe and Happy New Year !





No comments:

Post a Comment